On Apr 20, 2009, at 6:11 PM, sheppar...@aol.com wrote:

>At the moment, Pebbles is creating a huge drift. Brian - CGOS requires us to use >new names on the server each time we change our bots. It computes the strength >using all games (heavilly biased with the results of the first 100 games)

This is basically my first working version. Its rating dropped from 1500 to 800 while I worked out time control, position repetition, crash bugs and so on.
Pebbles is basically just getting those points back.

The solution to drift is to keep Fatman-1 running.

I recall reading about an Elo system that had better adaptation to players whose
rating changes. It was called Glicko-2. Here is a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glicko_rating_system

It's well known that the simple CGOS rating system could be improved. CGOS continually increases its confidence level in a rank as the number of games increase, regardless of upsets. That means the more games you played with a buggy bot, the longer you will take to get a proper rank. It also creates a larger drift tendency.

Also, while CGOS does only incremebtal adjustments based on recent games, bayes ELO will look at all games to compute a rank.

Not using a new login after significant changes leads to some issue with both rating schrmes. It helps you and everyone else. I'll be quiet about this now.

>Pebbles is probably closer to 2000 ELO than 1000 ELO based on the games against my bots.

Closer, yes, but I don't think it could be that high, as Pebbles has a significant minus
in recent games against bots rated over 1800.

Its Bayes Elo is 1519, which also does not suggest that it is headed for 2000.

Also, it searches only 20K light (mostly) playouts per turn. (Old computer.)

Do you mind sharing what pebbles does? UCT+RAVE? Any other enhancements?

>I did spot a bug in hb797-50k in its first resignation to Pebbles. My count was hb797-50k +1.5

Happy to help. :-)

Brian

The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!