On May 21, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Don Dailey <dailey....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Michael Alford <m...@aracnet.com> wrote:
Don Dailey wrote:
I believe with CGOS rules,  it is believed to be 9.0

I don't know if there is a proof of that, but I don't think there is any dispute.

- Don

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Michael Williams <michaelwilliam...@gmail.com <mailto:michaelwilliam...@gmail.com>> wrote:

   What was the consensus on 7x7 komi?  It was discussed back during
Don's scalability study, but I couldn't find the number itself. Was
   it 9.0?

delurk/

9 may be too small, the smaller the board, the more komi w needs, however, when i teach beginners, the more interesting variation is for w to try and live in two places :)

I feel very confident that 9 is not too small. With 9.5 komi white wins every game.

We did experiments with go programs on 7x7 and with 9.5 komi white won almost every game. When the komi was reduced to 8.5, black won nearly every game.

If you think 9 is too low, you can probably repeat this experiement. Try beating one of the strong MCTS programs on 7x7 as black with 9.5 komi. I'll bet you cannot do it.

7x7 isn't solved by computer, but the best ones play it extrememly well. Does anyone have any information on how well they play it? My guess is that with 9.5 komi, a strong computer playing white won't lose much to anyone (as it's starting from a dead won position.)

There's also an SGF file with analysis of variations and results done by some amateur dans. It also concluded the correct Komi is 9