2009/6/23 Christian Nentwich <christ...@modeltwozero.com>

>  Hi Don,
>
> thank you, that is very useful. Definitely food for thought. I am probably
> going to have time to take a look at this tomorrow. If you have a developer
> copy of the server running on a private port, and can mail me that off-list,
> I'd like to give it a try.

I'm in the middle of implementing the t2 stuff, it currently doesn't work.
When I have it working I will set up a test server on CGOS - not for general
use quite yet but enough to test your client.

> A few questions:
>   - What is a good way of referring to this new version of CGOS? CGOS 2?

Haven't given that any thought.   Let's go with 'CGOS 2' for now.

>   - What happens if the old server is sent "e2"? Does it drop the
> connection?

d...@greencheeks:~$ telnet cgos.boardspace.net 6867
Trying 67.202.75.88...
Connected to cgos.boardspace.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
protocol
e2 joe
Error: invalid response
Connection closed by foreign host.

>   - Probably more of a user question, but what is the default venue
> exactly? You said 9x9, I guess that's 9-300-7.5, as it is now?

Yes, that is my plan.

> And unrelated:
>   - I've sometimes wanted to see who is currently playing on the server.
> Will this be possible (e.g. through a web pages that gets updated every few
> minutes)?

The web page will be in PHP,  so when you refresh the web page you will get
the exact and current state of the server.   In other words if I log on and
2 seconds later you hit the site,  you will see that I am logged on.

I am also considering the idea of sending info message to every client when
someone logs on or off and perhaps even to broadcast the result and pairings
of each game.

What do you think of that?   If I do that, then a sophisticated enough
client could track the state of the server without requiring the user to
constantly refer to a separate web page.  Of course this does not change the
protocol since "info" is already defined as part of the protocol,  although
to be most useful I would have to standardize the exact format of those
kinds of messages.

- Don