You always need to be extremely careful about these kind of
heuristics. Especially in MC programs they can be detrimental very
easily.

But I believe you can come up with a reasonable rule to prevent some
self-atari's. I have one which is something along the following lines:

- puts itself into atari
- has four occupied neighbours, one of which is its own color
- does not put the opponent in atari

Probably better rules can be invented. I would be surprised if any
such rule is always 100% safe. But these at least cover your case.

Another rule I just thought of that may work very well is not put
yourself into atari with more than one stone if you can play at the
other liberty without putting yourself into atari.

Mark