On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Dave Dyer <dd...@real-me.net> wrote:

> If you are in a lost position, "good play" is play that maximizes
> the probability of a turnaround, which is quite different depending
> on how far behind you are, and for what reason.

What maximizes the probability of a turnaround depends on your opponent more
than anything else.   I'm sure the best move by this definition will change
according to who you are playing.

> If the status of all the major groups is solid, then concentrating
> on tactics which can gain a few points reliably might be the right
> thing.

I think the best PRACTICAL definition (which can be formalized) is to play
the move (or one of the moves) that maximizes the total points on the
board.    I think this is the natural human style, more or less.

My real point is that whether a move is good or bad cannot be precisely
defined if you are looking for a "practical" definition.   If you use my
theoretical definion, it can be precisely defined, but it may not be the
best practical definition for winning real games against fallible opponents.

- Don