Brian,

reading this ascii can be difficult, so I might be missing something, but why would white play F5 after E1 in your primary variation, instead of playing atari at B2 to prevent the seki? Would this lose on points? (Couldn't quite tell without knowing the prisoner count)

I don't see how black can force a seki after C3 as long as the E1 liberty is open in the initial position.

Christian

Brian Sheppard wrote:
Another month, another seki:

  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A - - - X - O O X - B - - O O O O X X - C O O - O X X O O - D O X O X X - X O X E - X X X X X X X X F X - X - - O X O O G - X - X X O O O - H - - - X O - - O - J - - - X O O O - - O to play.

Pebbles rated this position as a 93% win, with over 10000 trials.
It seemed that way to me, too. O fills C3, and then gets either
F5 or E1 to make 37 points and win by 0.5 with komi.

The actual variation: C3, A2, A3, E1, F5, B1 and now O cannot win.

  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A - X O X - O O X - B X - O O O O X X - C O O O O X X O O - D O X O X X - X O X E X X X X X X X X X F X - X - O O X O O G - X - X X O O O - H - - - X O - - O - J - - - X O O O - - O to play.

The upper left is seki. I didn't see that coming. If O responds to
A2 with B2 then we get a different seki:

  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A - X X X - O O X - B - O O O O O X X - C O O O O X X O O - D O X O X X - X O X E X X X X X X X X X F X - X - O O X O O G - X - X X O O O - H - - - X O - - O - J - - - X O O O - -
With enough search effort, Pebbles will see this as a loss for O.
It takes about 60000 trials for the score to drop below 50%.
Seeing the loss is delayed by forcing exchanges such as A9/B9.

Best,
Brian