I check for superko during the UCT tree part of the search, but just simple
ko during playouts.

-----Original Message-----
From: computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org
[mailto:computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org] On Behalf Of Peter Drake
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:42 AM
To: computer-go
Subject: Superko vs transposition table (was Re: [computer-go] Double/Triple
Ko situation)

I fixed allowing multiple suicide in playouts, but it didn't make the
many wasted playouts go away on Sheppard's position.

On further investivation, the problem has to do with the interaction
between superko and the transposition table.

Currently, Orego checks only simple ko most of the time. Superko is
only checked at the top level, before playing a "real" move (as
opposed to a move in a playout). This means that, within the
transposition table, superko can lead to an actual cycle. Orego does
have a max number of moves per playout, so it doesn't crash, but it
does throw away such playouts.

To fix this, I plan to always check for superko violations. Is this
what others are doing, or is there another way out?

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/