On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Benjamin Teuber<benjamin.teu...@web.de> wrote:
>> is dynamic komi not also usefull for
>>
>> - early pass, (only play if a move is better than a pass)
>
> Maybe, as you can define "better move" by "there is a dynkomi x where
> one loses while the other wins". But you'd need O(log(x_max)) runs to
> find it out.
>
>> - preventing horizon effect. (pushing losses over the search horizon)
>>  (not so sure about this but MTSC/ utc doesn't seem to prevent it on
>> its own, what i find s bit puzelling on its self)
>
> I don't know how to do this - do you have a concrete idea?
>

>> -strong play in lost games. preventing braindead moves
>>  (even if the game is lost the program can still play strong, just
>> adjust the komi so that some moves are better than others)
>>  resignation can than be defined as points behind.  (resign if more
>> than 5 points behind but keep playing if 1-4 points behind)
>>
>> -strongest play at won positions, (if all moves lead to a win, dynamic
>> komi can decide  what is the best move)
>
> Definitely.

i think the above (early pass , horizon effect and braindead moves)
hang together,
a program will value a sure result of a 1 point loss lower than a less
sure (more moves till the end)  loss of more points.
(they are both losses, but in the second situation the program can
imagine  a remote chance on a win)

>>  - whole number komi.
>>   for player just play like the komi higher (for white) or lower (for
>> black) so for the program a dfraw become a win for the player.
>>  (but even then a win is better than a draw, so it is all a bit
>> fidely but whith the progress on the 9x9 front, when solving small
>> board go comes into view the problems around whole number komi needs
>> addresing.
>
> "If all moves lose with -0.5 dynkomi, play the best move at +0.5
> dynkomi", so yes.

There is more to concideer here..
suppose the perfect komi for 9x9  is 7 (we don't know what it is but
it will be an odd  whole number)
suppose white is to move.

first question would be can white win with an internal komi of 6.5  7-
(that means that white can  win)
if he cannot
then can he win with an internal komi of 7.5  (that means he can draw the game)

This is only a riough outline. still a lot to philosophise about.