On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 06:52:56PM +0100, Folkert van Heusden wrote:
> What method are you guys using for the monte carlo search? What do you
> do?
> I pick at random a move, then for the resulting board that comes out of
> that pick another move and so on.
> Then, after that I evaulate the number of stones etc.

Do you mean you count the score? Make sure you actually count the stone
right, and (quite important) that you are picking out moves really at
random, not skewed in any way.

> What do you guys look at to select a move using monte carlo?

People use heuristics to prefer captures, escaping atari, play local
moves that match certain 3x3 patterns etc. - there is plenty of papers
covering this, I recommend you look at them. It's fairly important to
have all the heuristics somewhat randomized (depending on other parts of
my engine, I've found any value between 60% to 90% probability of
applying each heuristic optimal).

--
                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis
A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.