> Could you give us at least a general picture of improvements compared to
> what was last published as
> www.lri.fr/~teytaud/eg.pdf<http://www.lri.fr/%7Eteytaud/eg.pdf>? Is it "just"
> further tuning and small tweaks or are you trying out some exciting new
> things? ;-)

There is one important improvement, for which I must check with coauthors if
they agree for me to explain it. Below the other recent improvements in 9x9.

We have also recently encoded some (very simple) tricks against bad cases as
we had
against Fan Hui (i.e. cases in which the only good move is not simulated).
Roughly,
is the value of the node is very bad, then simulate randomly among the sons.
We can
show (mathematically) that with such tricks, we have the consistency (as
UCT),
plus some frugality (i.e. we do not simulate all the tree, even with
infinite computation time whereas UCT simulates all the tree AND simulates
all the tree infinitely often).
It gives very little improvement in self-play, but it understands better at
least the situation seen in the game with Fan Hui. What I like in this
improvement is that it's
the first time there is something which was mathematically developped for
mogo and
which leads to a positive result. Well, maybe this changes only 1% of games,
but maybe it makes mogo more robust for complicated ko fights which do not
occur in self-play.

Finally, there was a GP-based development of new patterns. However, this is
quite minor I guess - I like the fact that this GP-based module works in a
somehow stable manner, but maybe it would only be worth using it on an
implementation which is not
yet optimized.

Best regards,
Olivier