Darren Cook wrote:
> This (if I've understood correctly) is what I thought the dynamic komi
> idea was, i.e.:
>   Aim to be winning 60% of simulations.
>   If winrate is over 60, increase the artificial komi (if black;
>   decrease it if white) on the next move (*).
>   If winrate is below 40, then do the opposite.

In my original experiments (in Summer 2009) I let the bot use dynamic
komi when it was stronger than the opponent (and thus had to give handicap):
"RULE 42"
I started with a reasonable komi-bonus for the bot (leading to a
30+ percentage for the bot) and kept this until the bot climbed above
42 %. Then the komi value was reduced by 10 or 8 or 5 points.

The procedure worked well for instance when MC-Many Faces played
against a non-MC version of MF.

> This should work well on all board sizes, for both black and white,
> and in all stages of the game (though increasing the 60% threshold
> as the game progresses may make sense).

Right.

> I'm surprised people are using a simple linear decreasing rule, but
> very interested to hear there is a tangible improvement.

I was surprised, too.

> Perhaps being adaptive isn't needed?

The simplest solution is the best solution  (old proverb).

Ingo.