The discussion on move evaluation via CNNs got me wondering: has anyone
tried to make an evaluation function with CNNs ?

I mean, it's hard to really combine CNNs move estimator with a tree
search: you still need something to tell what the best leaf is. Given
the state of the art, the reflex is to use it for move ordering in the
tree for MCTS.
But given how strong the no-look ahead player is, it might be
interesting to have a CNN generate an evaluation instead of a move, and
then use alpha-beta and refinements.

We probably don't want to train the final score, even if the full
probability distribution is interesting; in particular, since many games
end with resignation, we have missing data, and it's certainly not
independant on the resignation itself.

Rather take a leaf from MCTS and just predict one or zero, the
evaluation function being the probability assigned to the result.

Maybe a system should be found to guarantee that the move predicted by
the move predictor (on 9d setting in Aja's technique) gets the highest
probability of winning. (Training the boards with all alternative moves
maybe ?).

OK, food for thought.

Jonas