On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 8:24 PM, Hugh Perkins <hughperk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/12/15, Álvaro Begué <alvaro.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A CNN that starts with a board and returns a single number will typically
> > have a few fully-connected layers at the end. You could make the komi an
> > extra input in the first one of those layers, or perhaps in each of them.
>
> That's an interesting idea.  But then, the komi wont really
> participate in the hierarchical representation we are hoping that the
> network will build, that I suppose we are hoping is the key to
> obtaining human-comparable results?

I don't see why komi needs to participate in the hierarchical
representation at all. The representation is supposed to learn higher-level
notions like good shape, life and death, territory... The effect of komi
can easily be incorporated into the mix at a later stage, since it has no
bearing on what's good shape, what's alive or dead or what constitutes
territory.