On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Petr Baudis <pa...@ucw.cz> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 11:45:48AM +0100, Urban Hafner wrote:
> > Good to know Petr! Where does the strength "come from"? Sophisticated
> playouts or a search algorithm or both?
>
> Frankly, I don't know for sure!  The downside of Michi's slowness is
> that playtesting takes too many resources so configuration performance
> exploration is awkward.
>
> But my guess based on ad hoc tests during the development is that the
> contribution of basic playout heuristics and RAVE+priors may be about
> 1:1 (with large pattern priors giving further extra boost).

Now that I have a bit of time again, what would be a good starting point to
improve upon UCT and light playouts? RAVE definitely comes to mind, as well
as enhancing the playouts with heuristics like the MoGo 3x3 patterns. Are
there are any good papers on adding priors to the search tree (and where
the underlying data is coming from)? I'm sure there must be, but I think I
just don't know how to search for it.

Urban
--
Blog: http://bettong.net/