There are longer cycles that can occur but I have never encountered any
that didn't naturally resolve themselves in the playout.

Zobrist having is cheap to compute (one xor if no stones were captured).
Comparing the resulting number against the others is also cheap. The hash
is also helpful for handling transpositions in the search tree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zobrist_hashing