.
Aretha Franklin wanted r-e-s-p-e-c-t, but frankly, my dear, i don't give a
damn.  this note is not a riposte to the latest epistle in a stream of
libelous personal abuse, but a clarification intended to stimulate thought
among any young-at-hearts that may also subscribe to this forum.

why would anyone want to program a computer to play an old board game?

different people have different reasons because they have different
motivations.

for some, most notably Arthur Samuel, the attraction is self-evidently the
kudos of fathering an electronic alter-ego that has a chance of achieving
fame and glory by becoming the alpha male through gladiatorial olympic
combat on the world's stage; the same motivation that led IBM to spend
quite a lot of advertising budget to beat Gary Kasparov.

for others like Jacques Pitrat, it is mathematical inquisitiveness.  i
mention these two because Pitrat overrode Samuel's veto of my IJCAI 79
paper on the grounds that i hadn't proved my fledgeling ideas by writing a
program like he had done in 1952 (which did little more than demonstrate
that Johnnie von N's 1928 minimax theorem was right in the first place).
Thanks, Jacques!  btw, i didn't find out about my debt of gratitude to
Pitrat until decades later when Feigenbaum's old archives were digitised
and put on the web.

and for yet others, myself included, computer Go is a convenient
experimental testbed for scientific enquiry into the nature of
intelligence, following a path trodden by pioneers like John von Neumann,
Alan Turing and Herbert Simon.

Go is a convenient testbed for theoretical AI research because it is a
narrowly-scoped information domain, one free from the foggy hairyness of
the physical world, which thereby enables one to ponder on experimental
models of knowledge representation and processing without becoming bogged
down by also having to distinguish signal from noise, a significant hurdle
that real-world robots have to confront.