A thought about that impressive article:
Move prediction has become the bot workhorse. But I have a question: how
can those predictions work, without having a goal? The predictions are
obviously purely shape based, so a 41% success rate is really pretty
awesome. But that means that some positions, like running battles, the
percentages will be a lot better than in others, like non eye-stealing eye
filling. How about giving the learning algorithms a "hint" about the
solution? Not about the area, but the type of move. So when, for example,
in the tree, certain stones end up captured a lot, a different move
predictor, that prefers taking libs, filling eyes ect might try to avoid
that fate. I know this is pure handwaving, but some kind of feedback from
search results to predictor used seems needed.