Hi;
maybe, for the rules, you would like the Chinese rules,
and in particular the
"TROMP-TAYLOR CONCISE RULES OF GO"
at https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~wjh/go/tmp/rules/TrompTaylor.html

If you like maths, you might check Robson's result, which shows that with
Japanese rules the game is Exptime-hard (exptime-completeness depends on
the exact formalization of Japanese rules, which are too blurry...) (see at
the end of this message).

The complexity for Chinese rules is somewhere between Pspace and Expspace
(this was discussed earlier in this mailing list, I guess... sorry for not
remembering who pointed out first that the common belief that Go with
Chinese rules is in Exptime has never been formally proved and is in fact
not trivial).

Interestingy, for Japanese rules, even for a subset of positions for which
Robson's result is applied, the decidability of phantom-Go (in the sense:
is there a move with winning probability >= 50% ?) is not proved (the
undecidability is not proved, also :-) ); and for Chinese rules, the
decidability is obvious, but the upper complexity bounds are just
huge.

Nb: Robson's paper is discussed here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Oq4Vk4oEDZQEbB3hql8nCDUK69pmyJrG0rs9LvsG_WM/edit;
I have scanned the original report and, as Michael agrees for it, I will
put this on the web soon (for the moment only rare people have access to
the document in paper format :-) ).