I'd expect this achievement by AlphaGo is very similar to when the first
human ran a 4 minute mile. No one had done it prior. However, right after
Roger Bannister did it, suddenly there were people all over the planet
doing it. Roger Bannister essentially made the possibility real, and then
the psychology changed and lots of others made it over the hurdle. AlphaGo
turned the possibility of an AI becoming a 9d into reality.

AlphaGo may have made it to 9d first. However, I expect we will now begin
seeing lots of different successful attempts to accomplish the same thing,
and relatively soon, too. We've already seen several different comments on
this email list of people working furiously to make the same leaps the
AlphaGo team have described creating. The risk on these investments has
been substantially reduced by AlphaGo's unambiguous success. If the chess
world is any sort of guide to how Go AI is going to continue to develop,
then we will see plenty of progress over the next 36 months. I wouldn't be
surprised to hear the Facebook team working on their AI ends up coming in
second to the +9d AI club.