Then again DNNs also manage feature extraction on unlabeled data with
increasing levels of abstraction towards upper layers. Perhaps one
could apply such a specifically trained DNN to artificial board
situations that emphasize specific concepts and examine the network's
activation, trying to map activation patterns to human Go concepts.

Still hard work, and questionable payoff, but just wanted to pitch
that in as idea.