Hi!

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 08:15:16AM +0100, Nick Wedd wrote:
> A problem with McMahon is that the scheduling software (a module of the KGS
> server, which I have no control over) uses the ratings assigned by KGS, and
> many bots do not have such ratings. I don't think it's reasonable to
> require all entrants to have rated bot status.  Rated bot status is granted
> only to *stable* bots, ones which do not change rapidly in strength and
> thereby upset the ratings of their opponents.

  When I was asking for ranked bot accounts, I was encouraged to create
new accounts whenever I changed something major.  Therefore, worst case
scenario would be that before each tournament, an author of a rapidly
developing bot would create a new ranked bot account, get rated and
enter the tournament.

  This assumes that the superadmin is responsive and not easily annoyed
by such requests.  That seemed mostly the case many years ago, but could
have changed.  Maybe they could delegate enabling ranks for bots to you?

  Also, it doesn't seem bad to me to have such restrictions if (i) it
takes only reasonable effort on your side to meet them (i.e. you don't
get stuck because KGS superadmin disappears for weeks), and (ii) not all
tournaments have them (my suggestion to hold only every other tournament
as McMahon with reduced handicaps).

> Maybe we could combine the two suggestions.  Have two divisions: upper
> division McMahon, with entrants required to have KGS ratings of 7k or
> better; lower division open.  I would like to hear people's views on this -
> and any more suggestions they have.

  I don't watch the tournaments that closely, but it seems to me the
average pool of entrants is not that big, so splitting them to multiple
divisions might not end up well.

                                Petr Baudis