I had been persuaded, by postings to this list, to run the monthly KGS bot
tournaments with a McMahon division.

I now think that this probably won't work.  I have run a test McMahon
tournament. No handicaps were assigned, or reported in the results.  This
*may* have been because none of the entrants had a confirmed rating (one
had a ? rating, four were unrated), but I doubt it.  Even if all the
players were treated as having the same initial rating (probably 8k, where
I had set the lower bar), handicaps should have been used by the final
rounds.

You can see the results at
http://www.gokgs.com/tournEntrants.jsp?sort=n&id=1040

I will be willing to run another test tournament, today or tomorrow, if
someone can provide a "Ranked Robot" to help with the test.  It should be
able to beat gnugo3pt8 consistently, and should preferably be willing to
play 9x9 Go.  All you need to do is leave it running on KGS in tournament
mode, and email me with its name.  I have left gnugo3pt8 running, to
restore its confirmed rating.

Nick
--
Nick Wedd      mapr...@gmail.com