Hi Ingo,

> On 31 May 2016, at 00:07, Ingo Althöfer <3-hirn-ver...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Petr,
>
> "Petr Baudis" <pa...@ucw.cz>
>>> ... It is enough that the [CHESS] program is tactically strong.
>>
>>  But strong Go programs are traditionally strategically strong, but
>> tactically *weak*.
>
> "tactical" was meant for Chess. In Go, players may use
> "the other strengths" of go programs. For instance, in November
> Benjamin Teuber (6d, one of the top German players) was impresssed
> by CrazyStone's analysis of one of his games (against FJ Dickhut).
> Teuber: "Some of CS' moves were eye-openers for me. I had never
> thought about those interesting moves."

But I guess you already have to be a quite strong player in order to see these
nuggets in a sea of weaker moves. I wasn't very impressed by the CS analysis
done by Michael Markefka from the German go forum
(http://www.dgob.de/yabbse/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6039.0;attach=4930).
Maybe its acceptable that it didn't found r8 and preferred q7 because r8 is not
easy to see (should be a no brainer for 7d though) but that it preferred e.g.
m3 over r2 keeps me wondering. Then at later points in the game it likes to
peep at q7 at random times for no reason. It actually found that d15 is better
than c15 which CS played in the actual game but instead of the deciding mistake
b3 it suggests c9, which, while much better than the game since its not a total
blunder, is clearly inferior to the Joseki move c7.

Sure a strong player like Benjamin can distinguish between just bad and
interesting suggestions and might learn from such analyses. But weaker players
might end up confused and weaker than before.

Note that I'm not singing in this strange chorus of disappointment over CS
performance in the game against Haylee. I think it's way to early for todays
computer programs (besides AlphaGo) to attempt even games against Pros. So not
only the loss but also the way of loss was to be expected. I only want to put
CS capabilities as a Go tutor in perspective.

I suspect Aja is right and Remi should go the path of integrating the GPU even
if it's just to get more "oomph" for CS. That he tried to learn GPU programming
from scratch is a noble attempt but I guess it's just to ambitious to
accomplish in a reasonable timeframe. Using one of the ready to use frameworks
should make it feasible though.

David O.