To: <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:53 PM
Subject: [Computer-go] How is zen so strong on CGOS?

Hi,

I'd like to start a discussion on what zen might do being so strong on
CGOS with only one core and no graphic card :)

The version actual playing (and therefore best comparable to the
programs actual playing) is

Rank Name Elo + − Games
12 Zen-13.5-1c0g 3639 48 48 569
16 Aya792p2v2cn50_12t 3558 46 46 476
24 Rn.3.3-4c 3459 34 34 918
26 No335-4.5-gpu-4c 3438 115 115 112
29 CGI1407_1_475_7c 3399 73 73 142
53 CrazyStone-0002 3239 114 114 141
54 NG-05 3235 67 67 228

No335 is probably Hirabot
NG is oakfoam
from crazystone I dont know, if this version uses gpu
Rn is probably ray

All but Zen use gpu and so have probably about 300 policy network calls
per second.

Zen does this on cpu and I got Hideki to let me know, that this can do
only about 20 calls per second :)

It might be that zen uses cnn only in the upper nodes and relies on the
faster node generation zen used before cnn for deeper nodes?

I can not believe, that the policy network is so much stronger than the
ones of all the others?!

Any ideas

Detlef