This is semantics. Yes, in the limit of infinite time, it is brute-force.
Meanwhile, in the real world, AlphaGo chooses to balance its finite time
budget between depth & width. The mere fact that the CNN policy network
generates a score for each coordinate on the board in a given position,
does not mean that all of those nodes will be expanded in any reasonable
scenario.