Here’s a quick test:

1. Are you a software engineer?

2. If you answered “Yes” to question 1, congratulations, you have Aspergers. If
you answered no to question 1, but you’re participating in an electronic
discussion, you might as well have Aspergers, because e-media cannot convey
tone or emotion. If you answered no to question 1 but you’re a college
professor, be aware that Asperger called people on the spectrum “little
professors” so you have double Aspergers. :-)

For those of you who are immediately offended, I should warn you that Aspergers
is classified as a “Spectrum” which means that everyone has Aspergers. Its a
range with Software Engineers on one end, and Actors on the other.

Robert hasn’t actually said anything that terrible that I can see reviewing his
emails.

However, I suspect his tone is offending you rather than his actual words.
That’s typical of conversing with someone with Aspergers over an electronic
medium which strips all of the additional communication side bands. On a
mailing list, we all have Aspergers.

Robert believes what he believes about the importance of edge cases. Telling
him that you don’t care isn’t going to convince him. Getting pedantic about the
purpose of this list just makes me suspect you of having Aspergers yourself.

If you don’t want to discuss double-ko, or the theoretical limits of Neural
Network based AI, and whether the system actually “knows” anything, you don’t
have to. But I kind of agree with Robert that I hope whoever designed whatever
self-driving car I might end up with in the future has considered those edge
cases, that their AI system isn’t just an elaborate “Chinese Room” of rules it
doesn’t understand.

Pierce

P.S.

I freely admit to having Aspergers, and some days I admit to being a Chinese
Room.