From: Thomas Rohde <t...@bonobo.com>
On 2017-11-01 at 11:48, adrian.b.rob...@gmail.com wrote:
Robert Jasiek <jas...@snafu.de> writes:
In Germany, an ethics commission has written ethical guidelines for
self-driving cars with also the rule to always prefer avoiding casualties of
human beings.
Did they consult Isaac Asimov on this?
Should actually have been their first thought, IMO (and I guess they were),
Asimov’s Laws of Robotics should be obligatory reading for everybody in
robotics. (and probably should be expanded/modernised — adapted to contemporary
knowledge)
Jokes aside, it's interesting to see some convergence of science to science
fiction..
Not surprising, IMO, since many of the best SF writers, including Asimov,
actually were and are scientists and/or engineers. And scientists (as well as
engineers, even industrial designers) often take their ideas from SF, again
unsurprising … I’d assume that reading SF has inspired many people to pursue
science, engineering, astronautics, etc.

Also, there is the word “science” in Science Fiction, which should tell us
something. SF is not necessarily always “space opera” with goodies and baddies
and alien monsters, space opera is often not much more than cowboy stories in
“spacey” apparel.

Forgive the off-topic … as an avid SF reader I was triggered ;-)

Respectfully,
Tom
If you're interested in this, check out one of the key results of the 2017 Asilomar conference on AI:
https://futureoflife.org/ai-principles/

Cheers,
-- Mark