To: <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 4:29 PM
Subject: [Computer-go] Japanese Shogi scene and AlphaZero

Hello in the round,

I asked a Japanese friend how the DeepMind report
(on Chess and Shogi) was recepted in the Shogi scene.

Here are the central parts of his answer (given on Wednesday):
Today, I just found a news on Alpha Zero in a Japanese
common newspaper, Asahi Shinbun, reporting the superiority
to previous AI playing program, probably through Google.
In the paper, “Mastering Chess and Shogi by Self-Play with
a General Reinforcement Learning Algorith,” by DeepMind,
it seems there is no example of Shogi play.

Japan Shogi League seems not yet to respond to recent
Alpha Zero news.

For the Shogi scene it would definitely be interesting
to get Shogi games of AlphaZero for replay.

Ingo.