Hi Olivier,

Thanks for all your corrections and detailed replies. I agree with them. If you
think it's OK, I would like to describe Mogo's contributions in my thesis
according to what you enumerated and explained.

Considering and responding to the previous move in simulation, especially
seeing the 3x3 patterns around (default policy of Mogo) is indeed a big
contribution (so called Mogo's "magic formula"). These days, programs of Crazy
Stone thread, like Zen, Erica, Aya...etc, do stochastic simulation, different
with Mogo-type, fixed-sequence simulation. But the most important features,
like "save by capturing", "save by extension" are indeed inspired from Mogo. If
I realize correctly, it was invented by Yizao, who is also a KGS 2d Go player.
It's REALLY a pity that Sylvain and Yizao left Mogo team so soon, after
Computer Olympiad 2007.

I have only one more question. You mentioned this,

----------------------
the idea of balancing - the situation should not be better for one of the two
players after one move by each player. This was claimed already in Sylvain's
thesis and (I think) earlier than that.

Can you point out where did Sylvain claimed the idea of "balancing" of
simulation in his thesis
(http://www.lri.fr/~gelly/paper/SylvainGellyThesis.pdf)? I check the thesis,
Sylvain talked about balancing of exploration and exploitation, but not
simulation (maybe he was not using such wording "balancing"?). David also
didn't cite his thesis in his simulation balanacing paper. If Sylvain really
proposed such concept, I would like to cite it in my thesis.

Thanks,
Aja