Hello Peter Drake,
In case it helps, quite a while ago I wrote some short articles for the
benefit of people like me who didn't understand what was going on in the
field. (Now it's too complicated for me to continue). Along with my other
writings, they're in the AGA e-Library www.usgo.org/bobhighlibrary.
Best,
Peter Shotwell

 <http://www.usgo.org/files/bh_library/Supercomputer%20Go.pdf>

*A Time Line of Supercomputer Go: Temporal Difference Learning to Monte
Carlo Programing*
<http://www.usgo.org/files/bh_library/Supercomputer%20Go.pdf> *by Peter
Shotwell* The story behind recent stunning developments in computer play.

   -

   Appendix I: Interviews with the Authors of MoGo, Many Faces of Go, Fuego
   and Zen

<http://www.usgo.org/files/bh_library/Supercomputer%20Go%20Appendix%20One.pdf>
   -

   Appendix II: 2011 Super Computer Go: Shih -Chieh Huang’s Chieh Huang’s
   Chieh Huang’s Chieh Huang’s Erica

<http://www.usgo.org/files/bh_library/Supercomputer%20Go%20Appendix%20Two.pdf>