In terms of real scientific tinkering, what was common for experiments is
data acquisition cards.  I don't know if either system is more amenable but
even in the mid-90's there were literally dozens of Visual Basic packages
for using DAC's in different types of experimental set-up (dozens maybe an
understatement). In that case, a software tool would seem to be driving the
choice of a platform.  I guess hypercard played the same role but I don't much
about it or how widespread its use in this way.

"Snyder, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I agree that most people don't tinker
much, especially with their
hardware (PC or Mac).  There seem to be more hardware tinkerers in the
PC group.  However, I've never had a Mac that I didn't go into to add
something; a higher capacity disk drive, modem, video, faster or
rewriteable CD, memory, etc.  Apple's collection of accessible PDF
specifications make this a simple task.  The latest Macs are easier than
ever to add components to.  I added a second disk drive to my G5 in
about 10 seconds, booted it and formatted it (the disk utility came up
automatically after it booted) in a few more seconds.  Adding (and
removing) software has also always been a snap in Mac OS in any version.
Macs are great for tinkering.

Mark Snyder