Charlie Wilson wrote:
"I am concerned that some of my e-mail is being identified as spam.
I work in the hospitality industry representing destinations. In the course
of this work, I send individual e-mails to clients in my ACT! database on a
daily basis using the ACT! word processor. About 4 times a year, I do a mass
e-mailing to a database of 1400 clients. The ACT! word processor merges the
contact names with the document template to create personalized messages.
Lately, I
have received a couple of reports from people who have found some of my e-mail
messages in their spam folder. One report was from a colleague who has never
been a recipient of any of the mass mailings. On the other
hand, I do get replies to some of my messages, so those are getting through."

Michael Lewis replied:
"I have a problem where my provider is flagged as a spammer. Why? Because a
lot of the people that use my provider simply forward their email from there
automatically to their AOL accounts. AOL sees a bunch of spam coming in and
assumes it is coming from my provider rather than actually being forwarded from
an
email account to one of their customers and flags the provider as a spammer.
Then, I can't send email to my clients that have AOL accounts. AOL puts
them on a blacklist, and then I can't send mail to Comcast and a couple
others that use the black list.
My provider has argued with AOL tons of times but AOL refuses to change their
scripts that check incoming email."

In my capacity as e-mail coordinator for a chapter of a writers group, I send
announcements of job opening to about 300 members who wish to receive e-mail
from the chapter.  I use the blind carbon-copy feature and include the
advertiser as a recipient.  Then, I e-mail an invoice to the advertiser.
Sometimes,
the advertiser e-mails back, "Okay, I got the invoice.  When are you going to
send the ad?"  Apparently, some ISPs block AOL mail sent with to blind
carbon-copy addresses and don't bounce to the sender. Thus I don't know how
many
recipients are not receiving the posts.

I'm surprised that AOL refuses to change scripts that check incoming e-mail.
The AOL postmaster's phone number is 888-212-5537.  That's one number that
they answer on the first ring.

Michael

Michael S. Altus, PhD, ELS
Intensive Care Communications, Inc.®