Philips/Sony Red Book standard for digital audio is AIFF, not WAV. There are slight differences in byte order and compression for raw AIFF and WAV files. The settings should be uncompressed 44.1KHz, 16-bit, stereo, PCM for the original recording. Does EAC make an exact copy, or does it convert the raw format before creating a new CD? What quality CD was used for the original? what quality for the copy? The slight differences in format can make a big difference in the final audio quality.

On 5/8/07, Tom Piwowar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I would have said that the same was true in the other direction -
everything
>is digital, after all.

Not entirely true.

Converting to digital can add distortion if the signal level are too high
and the A-D conversion starts to clip.

There are also signal adjustments that are part of the process, like
equalization. You can also have audio compression.

True.

I should have been clearer.

1.  I know that when EAC creates a WAV file from a CD, it is just copying
the bits.  And, it can verify that the bits it read are the right ones - as
you mentioned already.

So far, I am at least 99% sure that this step introduced no changes
whatsoever.

2.  Using Nero to burn the WAV files to a new CD.  Nero could introduce
changes here, like signal adjustments Tom mentioned.  Maybe they are at
different volume levels and Nero automatically did some volume adjustments,
for example.

If anything happened to the quality, it would be during the burning
process.  I am not sure if you can tell Nero to copy the bits and do nothing
else, but that might be worth investigating.

3.  As far as Tom's question as to "lower quality".  I should have asked if
the person was listening to the same track on each CD with the same
equipment at the same general time.  Nothing else would justify any claim to
hearing a difference, IMHO.