I don't know the answer to your question -- it seems today that only a few DVD-RWs are needed. I've almost quit using them.

But, several years ago the DVD write once was very expensive, and the success rate of writing to them was not too good. I adopted the practice of always writing to a rewritable DVD first (sometimes two or three tries were needed to make a success) then copying it to the non-rewritable in order to save the cost of throwing away a bad disk. Once made, I tended to save the RW disks because I might want to make a second DVD. Now, I have an "archive" of perhaps 30 rewritable DVDs all in full-sized jewel boxes.

Perhaps the answer to your question is simply inertia -- it once was this way and so it continues.

Steve Rigby wrote:
How come a consumer cannot seem to be able to buy just a couple of DVD-RWs? Why do I have to buy a 10-pack? Who needs 10 rewritables? Is this the "Costcoization" of the marketplace? Everything like this in bulk?

  Steve