On Jun 5, 2007, at 12:26 AM, b_s-wilk wrote:

Minolta and Konica had decent SLR cameras, but there was nothing special about them to make them stand out. Same for their digital cameras. Not impressive--but OK.

While not being desirous of getting into any sort of 'flaming,' I will defend the Konica-Minolta digital SLR line, of which there were only two models. There most certainly was at least one major "stand out" feature they both had, that being image stabilization with any lens you wanted to use. Additionally, Minolta film cameras were credited with a number of "firsts" that were mimicked later by other makes, and the ergonomics of Minolta cameras in general, including their late digital SLRs, particularly the 7D, remain standard setters.

Did K-M make any DSLRs that competed with the upper echelons of the professional Canon or Nikon line, those $1,500+ cameras? No. Did the two K-M DSLRs stack up well in their price brackets with Canons and Nikons? Absolutely.

I similarly mostly had Canons and Nikons in the era of film only. A Mamiya and a Petri crossed my ownership path at one time as well. I only borrowed a Minolta a couple of times back then, but I did not find it to be objectionable. I still have an Olympus OM-1 that does get some use.

Did you want to find a new group now that the Yahoo is shut down? Did the list owner say that the group was moving to another list location?

I am trying to find out what the list owner really wants to do. A lot of K-M owners are gravitating to Sony DSLR groups that are now beginning to appear since Sony took over where K-M left off. That approach is probably going to be the best bet.

Or was your post a comment on the loss of respect for the United States. Too bad some people confuse the bad behavior of governments with the people of a country. Too bad that some people confuse the bad behavior of a few companies with the reputation of all companies in a country.

I understand your points. My post was just a quote of feelings expressed by a British citizen, and is likely held by many a European these days, rightly or wrongly. I posted it here solely because it related to computers and computing.

  Steve