I've been scouring security now podcasts for this info because I know it was
touched on.  Alas, no go on finding it.   I do remember however that they
had said that it is not uncommon for the front page to not show encryption,
but it will be because the page the information is going to IS encrypted.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/08/bank_sites_still_driven_by_mar_1.html

A washington post article with the same conclusion.

I'll keep looking for the podcast because it did contain more detail about
why this is the way it is.

Mike