Weak video chip is just the start... the motherboard chipset is also an issue. I too would say you pretty much get what you pay for ... and getting less translates into having to buy a new computer sooner. HP is typically just not as robust or standardized or as well designed in parts and methods as Dells are. By spending a little more to buy powerful Dell workstation models (Precisions) from Dell's outlet, I get 6 to 7 years good use out of them. Much cheaper than buying two consumer market oriented HP's in that time and better performance and features to boot!

And you can also get some terrific deals on Dells if you buy from the www.dell.com/outlet or the using coupons listed on http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm

I would also stay with XP pro for another year before taking on Vista...

my two...  er... three bits
db

John Duncan Yoyo wrote:
I use a HP Pavillion and it is adequate but not stunning.  Just
fighting through with a weak on board video card problem.  It won't
run a piece of software my daughter wants desperately.  Time for a
dedicated video card I guess.

Did you go for for Home Premium?