> I am receiving approximately 10 spam SMS text messages on my cell phone each > day. They say they are coming from telephone number (000)000-0000. AT&T,
> my cellular provider, suggested sending the message, ³Stop² as a reply
> message. Of course, the telephone number is invalid, so this didn¹t work.
> These things are extremely annoying.  It¹s almost as bad as getting junk
> phone calls.  Any one know how I can put a stop to it?

I'm not sure how to stop the spam, unless you can block all messages except from a group of known senders. I can do that on my Nokia phone with T-Mobile.

Most likely those messages are sent via email with spoofed addresses. I frequently email to SMS, using the phone # email addresses:

        T-Mobile: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Virgin Mobile: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Cingular: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sprint: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Verizon: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Nextel: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number
        Or use one of many email to SMS services on the web.

It's possible that your provider may have these spam messages on file. If so, they can look at the headers for origin, or email the message files to your computer for you to examine the headers.

Betty