The "lesser light" referred to is moonshine. I see no contradiction.
The person to be ashamed here is the people's pastors, who clearly
haven't made much effort to teach them how to read the bible.

Then again, some modern day countries are run by people like those, so
I guess it's our duty to try to understand them.