This was discussed at great length on NPR a few months ago.

They said it was a great way to do exactly what Tom said, get an idea of the book so you can see if you want to buy.

I believe that the reason Music producers and Hollywood want to limit the publics access to their product is they want them to buy one size fits all stuff, no customizing or choices (al a cart on music)

Stewart