Apple has lowered prices quickly on new technology before, without any refunds--it happens a lot with new technology from other companies too. I bought a computer a decade ago a week before a newer, faster model was released for the same price--bummer--no refunds or apologies, even though the model I bought had only been out for 3 months.

However, a 1/3 reduction in price in two months is unusual, and lots of customers were pretty upset that it happened so fast. Many of the customers are new to technology, and not used to the risk of buying the 1.0 release of anything. The phone will cost a lot for the life of the contract, too.

It could be worse. You could be a Verizon customer, lusting after the iPhone, but settling for the iPod Touch at the same price.

This is the strangest thing I can recall any company ever doing. Even for Apple this is mighty strange. Why should they do this? If somebody was happy to buy the iPhone at $600 and did so that should be the end of it.