>I am wondering if I should continue to use the card or discard
>it. I re-formated the card and took a half dozen images, and it seemed
>to be OK. This is a Toshiba card, not some $5 Wal-Mart special, but I am
>wondering if these things are prone to failure. I suppose it is possible
>that the error could have been caused by the USB reader

If the card reformatted it is probably okay.

It is good practice to reformat the card frequently, not to just delete
pictures and keep going. The reformat tests the card.

These days cards are quite durable. But static can damage them. Don't
touch the metal parts.

I worry about cheap USB readers too, but I have no proof.