What I can't get past is that "we", or society is gov't. The federal gov't was built only very specific powers. What it wasn't given remained with the states.. more specifically the people. It's still up to us. So again, what I don't understand is why we seem to want out of our obligations (defined as societal/moral/ etc). Why are we always looking to the state beyond its mandate?

We have a very capable, and flexible nonprofit sector constantly experimenting with these issues and more. Gov't loves the NPS as it provides a reliable proving ground. As gov't crowds out the NPS in more arenas, while our civil society will never go away, I worry it will become smaller or less vibrant similar to those in the rest of the world.

cb

On Sep 23, 2007, at 2:51 PM, Randy wrote:

I believe you are correct; hence the logical (and moral) inconsistency of those (mostly liberals and Democrats) who simultaneously demand that WalMart and maybe other employers provide more health coverage while also seeking universal health care, usually through the federal government. Meanwhile, somewhat ironically, Republican Governors in California and Massachusetts have helped move their states towards providing universal health care. The rationale for employer-based health coverage no longer exists, as the circumstances which gave rise to this many decades ago have changed dramatically.

If people believe there is an ethical obligation to provide health care coverage for all who want and need it (as I do; at least for legal citizens) than this obligation should fall naturally on society, and therefore on society's main instrument of exercising its explicit obligations - government; not on employers. That is, "we" should assume this obligation and the costs of doing so, not, as we are wont to do, pass it off onto others, such as large employers.

Personally, the model that makes the most sense to me of those I heard about is a single payer system; but I would add a lot of significant sticks and carrots to incentivize behavior likely to lead to good health and thus lower costs, while disincentivizing behavior likely to do the opposite.

I would extend this to the radical notion that people who are not able, at least at the moment, to provide for their children should be discouraged - as an ethical matter - from having children they cannot support, and therefore are likely to look to government to assume, in effect, this parental responsibility. Of course, no mainstream politician or public figure would ever dare raise the ethics of having an unlimited "right to reproduce" irrespective of the consequences of exercising that right, but the issue is both logically and morally linked to the argument that society or someone has an obligation to provide for health care coverage for all persons, particularly those who cannot afford or access it on their own.

What does this have to do with computers? Nothing, directly, but since others are discussing this here, this is my 2 cents.

Randall

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] [ OT WARNING!!!!

I can see an argument that society has an obligation to provide health care to all, and that government is the best means to achieve that. I do not see that the obligation, if extant, should in any way fall on employers.

If one accepted that argument, that an economic entity that employs a person obligated to provide healthcare to that person, then every mom and pop enterprise, every individual who ever hired a kid to mow the lawn, would logically and ethically share the obligation, for the size of the employer does not bear upon the obligation, only its practicality.

That is not Scrooge refusing to give to charity, for charity by its definition is voluntary, not obligatory.

Matthew