You took wrong Mark. I'm a veteran and I know the VA system. Am I to guess you're somehow affiliated with the VA and took exception?

I didn't say one couldn't get good care at a VA. I said, given a choice I'd prefer a non-gov't run hospital, except depending on diagnosis. Lots of people seek out care for testicular cancer at Indiana University (Lance Armstrong is a famous one), but they don't go there because its IU. They go to IU because thats where they find Larry Einhorn.

The points you mentioned below all relate to efficiency. I answered Tom's question based on my perception of quality of care. A state-run med school affiliated hospital or practice would not be my first choice for routine care. Students need practice and learning opportunities, but I'm under no obligation to provide it personally.

Its not relevant that any given VA facility, or the VA on whole while may or may not be the "best run hospital system in the country." That the residents managing pt care are supported with barcoded systems, EMRs, and an efficiently purchased formulary is also not relevant to my care decisions. I don't want a resident front-lining my care (especially at the beginning of the year) no matter how efficient the system is said to be.

Interestingly, all that "most advanced medical software" is a current topic of discussion in the churning swirl of medical education. A growing percentage of students is being found unable to compose a patient summary without using the system. Is medical education training techs to follow drop-down lists and history forms? Granted, care directed using a validated system strictly followed will probably reduce malpractice risk. It will also help make appt's quicker so more pts can be seen in a day to help make up for lower reimbursements. But, the argument goes, is that what we want from a physician? I seem to think more and more we do, at least until we get what we're asking for. I just hope the developers have the newest CASE tools and use some of that artificial intelligence and fuzzy logic to build the systems.

cb