register your own domain name.  In the "old" days, register services acted like
they owned the name, and made it extremely difficult to free the name.  there
is not much value in reregistering a name now, so the services do not fight so
hard.  I use godaddy.com.  now that they sponsor racer women, and have risque
commercials, I don't know if I would go there now.

I'm not a prude, just financially conservative, and think all that advertising
is ridiculous.

looks to me like robertcarroll.biz is still available(if that's your name).
robcarroll.org&net are available.