Here is the portion of the GoDaddy registration agreement (for registering a
domain name) that gave me pause when I went to register my first name.  Does
this mean what it appears to me to mean - that if you only have a residential
address this will be put in a public directory and can even be sold?  When
filling out the form to get a domain I believe things like address and phone #
were required fields.  So in order to register a domain name you have to be
willing to make all of this information available basically to anyone and maybe
available for being sold?  This seems more intrusive and underming of one's
privacy than my suggestion.  I almost didn't go ahead with the registration
when I read this part.  Maybe I should have given them a fake mailing address!

Randall

GoDaddy's domain registration agreement

"....You acknowledge and agree that domain name registration requires that this
contact information, in whole or in part, be shared with the registry operator.
As required by ICANN, this information must also be made publicly available by
means of Whois, and that the registry operator may also be required to make
this information publicly available by Whois. Both Go Daddy and the registry
operator may be required to archive this information with a third party escrow
service. You hereby consent and give permission for all such requirements and
disclosures. Further, You represent and warrant that, if You are providing
information about a third party, You have notified the third party of the
disclosure and the purpose for the disclosure and You have obtained the third
party's consent to such disclosure.

You agree that for each domain name registered by You the following information
will be made publicly available in the Whois directory as determined by ICANN
Policy and may be sold in bulk as set forth in the ICANN agreement:

  a.. The domain name
  b.. Your name and postal address
  c.. The email address, postal address, voice and fax numbers for technical
and administrative contacts
  d.. The Internet protocol numbers for the primary and secondary name servers
  e.. The corresponding names of the name servers
  f.. The original date of registration and expiration date
You agree that, to the extent permitted by ICANN, Go Daddy may make use of the
publicly available information You provided during the registration process. If
You engage in the reselling of domain names You agree to provide any
individuals whose personal information You've obtained, information about the
possible uses of their personal information pursuant to ICANN policy. You also
agree to obtain consent, and evidence of consent, from those individuals for
such use of the personal information they provide. "