The more sophisticated units often have self-test circuitry even if
the unit is setup to be monitored by a connected computer; this may
relate to the 2-4 AM thing. The other issue might be a failing
battery. They do wear out. I have 2 TrippLite 1000VA units that have a
real time read-out for the line voltage. They were about $100 the last
time I saw one at Costco.

YMMV

--
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
up where I needed to be."