The link, http://lookingglasslandblog.blogspot.com/2005/07/international-broadband-costs-rate.html, is from 2005. Things have changed a lot since then. In UK, you can get free 2Mbps broadband along with your £35/mo mobile phone service and the 3G quadband phone is free. There are also a lot more free or cheap WiFi hotspots than in 2005.

"Broadband Service Available Worldwide, But Few Can Afford It
By Frank Bures Email 09.05.07 | 4:00 PM

Handing out $100 laptops to kids in rural African villages is great, but it won't bridge the digital divide. That's because it's so hard to find reasonably priced, high-speed Web access. Only about 3 percent of the world's population has broadband, and prices vary wildly. In Japan, DSL or cable averages 6 cents per 100 Kbps, with users typically paying 0.002 percent of their monthly salary for high-speed access. But in Kenya, that same hookup speed costs $86.11 --- nearly twice the average monthly income. Here's a look at where you can --- and cannot --- expect to find new World of Warcraft buddies..."

http://www.wired.com/special_multimedia/2007/st_atlas_1509

I can get faster cheap broadband at a pizza shop in Greece than is available at my house in Maryland. I can get much cheaper AND much faster broadband in Seoul or Tokyo. 20-50Mbps are common and cheap there and in some of western Europe, with Korea bumping up to 100Mbps. Faster than a greased gopher?