While the interface for AVG is "clumsy", I like the fact that it just sits there and does its thing without my having to get involved. It updates itself daily, and I have not had an incidence of a virus or malware in the several years I have been using it. (I have half a dozen machines running Win98SE and two with XP pro, all with AVG.) I should also point out that, with a router/firewall and a couple of free anti spyware applications running, I see almost on indication of problems.

On my older, slower, machines, when AVG is doing its scan, it slows down the machine very noticeably, but I suspect that on a faster machine the overhead might not be so noticeable. I try to schedule the scans for when I am not doing anything.

I haven't used Norton for 10 years, so I can't comment beyond relating that I have not heard anything good about the product since then.

Mike

rlsimon wrote:
I see 2 folks recommended AVG/Grisoft ...some time back I threw up my hands
with Norton and went with Avast ...any comparisons or thoughts?