There's one thing missing from this discussion of broadband speed. It's the wiring or wireless after the broadband gets into your house.

I have an ancient part of my network on cat3 cable. When I test that node, it's very slow compared to other nodes, or a direct connection. Using 802.11b wireless connected directly to the incoming cable also tests as slow, compared to wireless 'g' and 'n'.

I'm replacing the cat3 with cat6 next weekend. That should test at least twice as fast without paying for faster broadband service.

Betty